Education: tariff score 280
You will need five GCSE passes at a minimum grade C or above. These should include Maths, English Language and Physics/Science.
A minimum of 280 UCAS tariff points, which could be as follows:
- B, B, C from A-Levels. All A-Level subjects accepted, excluding General Studies. Points from AS Levels and Key Skills are not counted towards tariff points
- Distinction, Merit, Merit profile from BTEC National Diploma Level
- All equivalent UK and overseas qualifications are accepted also including Advanced Diplomas, Irish Leaving Certificate, Scottish Highers, Welsh Baccalaureate, European and International Baccalaureate, Abitur, Vitnemål and SAT.
We are looking for evidence of your experience in at least one if not more of the following fields: music recording, live sound work, sound design in theatre or sound installation work, radio production. We need to know what roles you have played in these and what equipment you have worked with. Home recording using computer-based systems is acceptable. We prefer candidates who can demonstrate a breadth of experience in several areas, and experience that is not confined to school or college course work. We recognise some geographic areas don't offer such possibilities, so signs of commitment and enterprise in seeking work and experience will also support your application.
Some of our students are also musicians. That is not essential but an appreciation of music or other forms of audio production is. Other examples of interdisciplinary experience might be lighting experience, video or film production, design (such as web and animation work), organising gigs or band promotion. All candidates should be able to demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of other art forms.
As communications skills are so important in performing arts, the ability to communicate effectively is essential.
We are looking for evidence that you are able to work on your own initiative. Good examples may be projects you have been involved with that are not part of your school qualifications.
Additional information for international students
We recognise a wide variety of qualifications obtained overseas and are able to translate overseas grades and transcripts to UK equivalents. If English is not your first language, you may be asked at the interview or audition stage to provide evidence of your linguistic ability.
The following may be acceptable evidence of your proficiency in English:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): average score of 6.0 or above, and for each component, 5.5 or above
- International GCSE English as a Second Language grade C
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) paper-based test minimum score 560, computer-based test minimum score 220, internet-based test minimum score 83
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic): minimum score 51
If you have another qualification which you think may be equivalent, let us know. As a member of UK NARIC, we can quickly advise you if it is equivalent or not. You may be asked as a condition of your offer to provide evidence that you have already attained one of the above (or equivalent) qualifications or be asked to take the IELTS/TOEFL/PTE Academic examination within a specified time to attain a specified result.
For further details please contact the International Team.