Education: tariff score 180
We normally expect applicants to successfully complete a Foundation Studies course in Art and Design or an equivalent course at pre-degree level. Some applicants may be admitted directly after their Level 3 qualifications but will need to demonstrate more substantial experience in art and design, including relevant theatre design experience.
You will also need five GCSE passes at a minimum grade C or above. These should include Maths and English Language.
A minimum of 180 UCAS tariff points, which could be as follows:
- B, C from two A-Levels. All A-Level subjects accepted, excluding General Studies. Points from AS Levels and Key Skills are not counted towards tariff points
- Merit, Merit, Pass profile from BTEC National Diploma Level Level (equivalent to 200 tariff points), Merit, Pass, Pass profile (equivalent to 160 tariff points) may be considered
- All equivalent UK and overseas qualifications are accepted as with other programmes.
We are looking for experience of working in different art forms, including 3D work in addition to 2D work and evidence of your ability to experiment with a variety of media. It is desirable to have experience in one or more areas of theatre or performance design but not essential. We recognise that some geographic areas don't offer such possibilities so signs of commitment and enterprise in seeking work and experience will also support your application.
All candidates should be able to demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of performing art forms, including the live and visual arts, along with an interest in and aptitude for working collaboratively.
As communications skills are so important in performing arts, the ability to communicate effectively is essential.
We are looking for evidence that you are able to work on your own initiative. Good examples may be projects you have been involved with that are not part of your school qualifications.
Additional information for international students
We recognise a wide variety of qualifications obtained overseas and are able to translate overseas grades and transcripts to UK equivalents. If English is not your first language, you may be asked at the interview or audition stage to provide evidence of your linguistic ability.
The following may be acceptable evidence of your proficiency in English:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): average score of 6.0 or above, and for each component, 5.5 or above
- International GCSE English as a Second Language grade C
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) paper-based test minimum score 560, computer-based test minimum score 220, internet-based test minimum score 83
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic): minimum score 51
If you have another qualification which you think may be equivalent, let us know. As a member of UK NARIC, we can quickly advise you if it is equivalent or not. You may be asked as a condition of your offer to provide evidence that you have already attained one of the above (or equivalent) qualifications or be asked to take the IELTS/TOEFL/PTE Academic examination within a specified time to attain a specified result.
For further details please contact the International Team.