There is a team of four specialist tutors working with students at LIPA.
These people work on a freelance basis and receive referrals for working with LIPA students directly from the Student Support Manager.
The specialist tutors have experience of working with students who have a wide range of support needs which may be related to problems and issues such as those associated with:
- Dyslexia and other learning differences
- Mental health problems
- Long term health related difficulties
- Personal stress and coping mechanisms
- Organisational difficulties
- Problems with meeting course requirements especially in relation to assignments and other course based work
- Sensory impairments such as problems with hearing and vision
- Being a mature student
Students will not be expected to pay for this support as funding for this type of support comes from other sources rather than from individual students.
When a student first meets with one of the tutors s/he will agree on the frequency of meetings and this may vary at different times of his/her course. S/he will work with the tutor to produce a Learner Support Document which is a written and signed agreement about the goals that the student will be working towards and these are evaluated in order for students to learn about the approaches that have been most helpful to them and also those which have been less helpful.