​You are welcome to contact the International Team with any enquiries, if you have any question at all please get in touch.

​Darren Murphy
International Student Recruitment Manager
Email: d.murphy@lipa.ac.uk

Katie Douglas
International Officer
Email: k.douglas@lipa.ac.uk

Tel: +44 151 330 3118
Fax: +44 151 330 3131

How long are LIPA programmes?

LIPA degree programmes last for three or four years, which means you'll start working and performing in your chosen field as soon as you enrol. Each year is broken down into three terms of 12, 12 and 7 weeks. The academic year runs from mid- September to end May with breaks at Christmas and Easter. LIPA Foundation Certificate and MA programmes run for one academic year.


You may find the following dates useful to you when applying for funding and accommodation or when making arrangements to spend time away from Liverpool during the breaks. This information is provisional and may be subject to changes before enrolment in September. We will provide you with up to date information in August when we send you enrolment details.

International Student Enrolment & Orientation

Friday 14th September
To be attended by all new students from outside the UK, including students from Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

UK Student Enrolment

Sunday 16th September
To be attended by all new students from the UK.

All students

Monday 17th September – Friday 14th December

Christmas Break

Saturday 15th December – Sunday 13th January

Teaching Hiatus**
Wednesday 2nd January – Friday 11th January

Term 2*
Monday 14th January – Friday 12th April

Easter Break
Saturday 13th April – Sunday 28th April

Term 3*
Monday 29th April – Friday 31st May

Week 31
Monday 3rd June – Friday 7th June***

*Should assessment activity continue onto the Saturday at the end of a given term, students are expected to remain in attendance for this activity before leaving for their holidays.
The Teaching Hiatus** weeks are used by lecturers for marking, assessment and feedback related activities. There is not usually any teaching scheduled during this period, however some assessment activities involving students may be scheduled.
*** Week 31 is used in some cases for late assessment or production work. FC Dance production work is scheduled in Week 31

I'm a performer, when will I get to perform?

From day one you will be involved in performance projects. Courses here are mostly practical – even your introductory classes are, for the most part, practical workshops. In every year of your studies, you'll be working on collaborative performance projects, where you will have the chance to work alongside students on other programmes - actors, dancers, musicians, designers, sound technologists and managers - to create high-standard productions. You will also have the opportunity to participate in independent productions in the SEB (Student Events Board).

First year student performances are in front of an internal audience of staff and students. All second and third year performances are open to the public.

SEB (Student Events Board)

A proportion of your tuition fee is given to the SEB (Student Events Board). This is our student-run group that sponsors productions devised and performed by students. So, if you've always wanted to direct a performance of a play you've written, or perhaps see your own composition used as a score for a piece of choreography, the SEB gives you the opportunity and the guidance to do this. The possibilities are endless. Through the SEB you can get to work with students from different programmes and, like the collaborative performances, this gives a real insight into how professionals in other fields work. There are also independent productions that happen outside of the SEB.

How are classes taught?

You are taught through a mixture of seminars, tutorials, lectures, coversations and masterclasses, demonstrations and workshops. Our courses balance the acquisition and the application of skills. Your group tends to be smaller than in the US and the training you receive more intensive. You will be assessed on the basis of written work and your performance work - both as an individual and as part of a group.

Can I transfer credit?

Requests for entry into the second or third year of our degree programmes are considered on an individual basis.

Will my degree qualification be recognised in my own country?

British degrees are respected and recognised world-wide. Our graduates have gone on to study Masters programmes in several countries.

How much is tuition at LIPA?

For our degree programmes for 2019, the tuition fee is £16,200 per year which is equivalent to roughly $21,000

How much does it cost to live in Liverpool?

Liverpool is significantly less expensive than London. You are advised to budget for expenditure in the region of £9135. This figure is the minimum required for visa national students to secure a visa.  In reality £7500 should cover your accommodation, bills, insurance, TV licence, food, laundry, clothes, books, travel and socialising.

Can I apply for a scholarship?

We are not able to offer any scholarships. You can research scholarship opportunities in your own country, but the majority of our international students are self-funded or take out private loans.

Can I get a job at LIPA, or elsewhere?

Possibly, but if you need a visa to study in the UK the hours you are permitted to work will be limited and certain conditions will apply. Future earnings can't be used as the evidence of funding required for visa purposes. Balancing your study/rehearsal requirements with work will be challenging but many students do manage this.

Where would I live?

Liverpool represents great value for students. Accommodation costs are low in comparison with other places in the UK, particularly the South East.

We will help you find accommodation in Liverpool. This is usually a single room in halls of residence and within easy walking distance of our campus. Prices and facilities vary greatly, ranging from £70 per week in shared accommodation to £160 per week for a one bedroom, self-contained flat (apartment). The majority of student halls of residences are self-catered as are all private flats and houses, meaning you will cook meals for yourself, how you want, when you want.

How many Americans study at LIPA?

There are currently 44 US students studying at LIPA. One out of every four students is from outside the United Kingdom. There are students from over 40 countries world-wide at LIPA.

How do I apply?

Firstly, submit a LIPA application form, or a UCAS application form if you are an EU national (details are given on the LIPA application form). Usually a decision will then be made on whether or not to invite you to audition. If it is not possible for you to attend an audition, you will be asked to submit a video audition, for which you will be given guidelines. Detailed application guidelines are given in each course section.

What if I have problems?

Every student is allocated a Learning Guidance Tutor to help with any problems you may have. In addition, you can access counselling, welfare and health services through our Student Support. All these services are free. We offer a very supportive environment in which to study and we are proud to have one of the lowest drop-out rates amongst UK Universities.

What if am I unwell?

Free medical aid for all full-time students is offered by the UK National Health Service. Specialist student health services are available from John Moores University; again, this is offered free of charge.

Does LIPA have clubs, societies and sports teams I can join?

LIPA students may join clubs, sports and societies at John Moores University. JMU has a much larger student body than LIPA which enables them to support over 100 different sports, clubs and societies http://www.liverpoolsu.com/

What is Liverpool like?

Liverpool is an historic port city with a population of 450,000. It is busy, multi-ethnic and cosmopolitan. The city's student population exceeds 70,000 and all tastes are catered for by a wealth of cinemas, theatres, clubs, pubs, music venues, galleries, restaurants and bars - most offering significant discounts for students. The city is located in the North West of England less than an hour away from Manchester International Airport and just over two hours away from London by train. More information about Liverpool can found in our Life Here section.

Will I get to meet Paul McCartney?

Briefly, at graduation, unless you are a Music student majoring in Songwriting, in which case you might meet him before graduation.

Useful links

We have complied a handy list of useful link to general information about studying abroad and about the city of Liverpool.

Studying in the UK

The British Council : https://www.britishcouncil.org/

Education UK : www.educationuk.org  

Information about Liverpool and the surrounding area 


Liverpool Hotels


Other Resources

Currency Converter: www.xe.com/currencyconverter/ 

World Time: www.timeanddate.com/worldclock